- The national language is Spanish, although there are many native languages like Nahuatl.
- You’ll find diverse skin colors of Mexicans: white, brown, & black
- There are 31 states, you can fly across the country by using airlines like (Aeromexico, Interjet, VivaAerobus or Volaris) or take public transportation (buses)
- Don’t just think about Cancun or Cabo San Lucas, there are so much more than just these two!
- Within Mexico, there are diverse cultures and peoples, like indigenous peoples
- Popular celebrations in Mexico are Mexico’s independence day (Independencia de México), Guelaguetza Festival, Day of the Dead (Día de Muertos) – which is not Halloween!
- Believe that family always come first
- Elders are well respected in the family
- It is normal for family to show up late to the party and leave very late from the parties. When they party, they usually party hard.
- When becoming comfortable and acquainted, they give un abrazo (a hug) and a kiss on the cheek.
- Among friends and family, we often use nicknames that is often based upon physical characteristics, like ‘el gordito’ (‘the fat one’). It may considered offensive for many foreigners but it is considered normal within our culture
- when someone sneezes, say “Salud” (“bless you”) which considered to be polite
- Mexicans generally love to hear stories and gossips
- Lengua de Señas Mexicana (LSM), not MSL (“Mexican Sign Language”)
- Some signs varies based upon regions.
- Not many Deaf here know International Sign*
- By society, Deaf people are seen as incompetent
- Because of how they are perceived, they generally suffer economically due to very low pay jobs or not being hired
- There is a “Deaf village” in Yucatan state.
Mexico is a large country with so many things to explore. There are countless “must-see” cities, including Cabo San Lucas, Cancun, Oaxaca, Mexico City (CDMX), Tulum, Guanajuato, Guadalajara, etc. As well as other attractions like Chichén Itzá, Ik Kil, San Juan Teotihuacán, and more
My personal experiences.
My parents’ motherland! Viva Mexico! Other than a small town where I grew up visiting my family almost every year for a month or two, I’ve been to Guadalajara, Mexico City (DF but now known as CDMX), Aguascalientes, and Cancun. I only have visited and explored with my family. I am finally exploring myself to have more adventures. I want to explore my roots, honor my ancestors, meet the Deaf community there and learn more about who I am.
Need a travel coach?
Videos about Mexico